ISM | Iceland Jump to main content


Travel and COVID-19

You can find the latest information on how COVID-19 is affecting travel to Iceland on the Re-open EU website and via the Icelandic police website. COVID-19 travel information can change frequently, but you can find out what you should be looking out for on the front page of this guide.

Entry visa requirements


Working fewer than 90 days?

The Free Trade Agreement between the UK and Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein came into effect on 1 December 2021. 'British artists, performers and entertainers will now be able to tour and perform for up to 90 days every six months without needing a permit'.

Working for more than 90 days?

You must apply for a work permit (most likely ‘for a job which requires expert knowledge but this is not clear) AND a residence permit.

An application for a specialist licence must be submitted to the Directorate of Immigration for jobs which require expert knowledge.

Arrangements for the self-employed are unclear.

Additional requirements

Residence permit:

  • Criminal record certificate
  • Health insurance
  • Employment contract
  • Work permit application

Work permit:

  • Employment contract
  • Certified copy of diploma
  • If based on work experience, information about previous employment
  • Confirmation that employer will pay return travel


15,000 ISK (£85) for temporary residence and work permit

45,000 ISK (£255) for expedited processing in addition to the 15,000 ISK above.

Please note that figures in GBP are indicative and may change in line with exchange rates.

Contact details

Embassy of Iceland Website
2A Hans Street
London SW1X 0JE

Tel: +44 (0) 20 7259 3999
[email protected]

Honorary consulates: Aberdeen, Belfast, Birmingham, Cardiff, Dover, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Grimsby, Hull, Liverpool/Ormskirk, Manchester/Prestwich, Newcastle

Planning a tour?

The information provided in this guide is for your reference only and does not constitute legal or immigration advice. The ISM recommends that if you have any doubts about your eligibility to enter any country, you contact a suitably qualified migration expert for each individual country in good time prior to intended arrival.