ISM | Germany Jump to main content


Travel and COVID-19

You can find the latest information on how COVID-19 is affecting travel to Germany on the Re-open EU website, the German Government website and via the German Embassy. COVID-19 travel information can change frequently, but you can find out what kind of information you should be looking out for on the front page of this guide.

Entry visa requirements

National visa required for stays of over 90 days.

Article 6(3) states, ‘Some special activities are not regarded as paid activity under the national legislation. These persons may enter visa-free under the conditions specifically set out.’

Please be aware that different German states may apply these rules differently. Check your contract carefully as there are different requirements for employees and the self-employed.

Working fewer than 90 days?

Exemptions for:

‘persons, including their auxiliary staff, who…are active…in performances of…artistic value…provided the duration of the activity does not exceed 90 days within a period of 12 months.’

‘Persons who are employed in the context of festivals or music and cultural days or are posted for guest performances or foreign film and television productions, if the duration of the activity does not exceed 90 days within a period of twelve months.’

‘People who appear in daily performances up to 15 days a year’ (for example, a musician performing at a wedding)


Working for more than 90 days?

National D Visa (also called a Residence Permit Visa)

Additional requirements

You will also need:

• An employment contract
• Original qualification certificates
• Proof of employment status in the UK


€75 for the National D visa.

Contact details

German Embassy Website
22 Belgrave Square/Chesham Place
London SW1X 8PZ

Tel: +44 (0) 20 7824 1300
[email protected]

Consulate General Edinburgh
16 Eglinton Crescent
Edinburgh EH12 5DG

Tel: +44 (0) 131 337 2323
[email protected]

Planning a tour?

The information provided in this guide is for your reference only and does not constitute legal or immigration advice. The ISM recommends that if you have any doubts about your eligibility to enter any country, you contact a suitably qualified migration expert for each individual country in good time prior to intended arrival.