ISM | Austria Jump to main content


Entry visa requirements

Not required if working dependently for less than 4 weeks.

Visa C+Erwerb (gainful activity) for more than 4 weeks but less than 90 days.

Visa D+Erwerb for for stays between 90 and 180 days.

For independent work of any length of time a visa is required (either a C+Erwerb up to 90 days or D+Erwerb between 90 and 180 days)

Information provided by Embassy

Working fewer than 90 days?

Exemption from work permit if employed for:

• 1 day
• or 4 weeks within an overall production

Work permit required for more than 4 weeks (usually applied for by the Austrian partner). Once granted, apply for visa at the Embassy.

A work permit is not required for independent work as the C- or D-type visa is in place.

Information provided by Embassy

Additional requirements

‘Such employment shall be notified by the event organiser and/or producer on the day of work take-up to the competent regional office of the public employment service (AMS).’

For independent work, the artist would need proof of qualifications (CV, overview of past engagements, university degree)

Information provided by Embassy

Working for more than 90 days?

As less than 90 days, but more than 4 weeks.

For stays of more than 6 months a Residence Permit – Artists is needed (called a ‘settlement permit – artists on the website) is required for both self-employed and employed roles.


€80 for C+Erwerb visa

€150 for D+Erwerb visa

€120 for residence permit application.

€20 for granting of the permit.

€20 for fingerprints, scans of photos and signatures.

Contact details

Austrian Embassy: Website

Austrian Embassy London
18 Belgrave Mews West
London SW1X 8HU

Tel: +44 (0) 20 7344 3250

Honorary consulates: Edinburgh, Manchester

Planning a tour?

The information provided in this guide is for your reference only and does not constitute legal or immigration advice. The ISM recommends that if you have any doubts about your eligibility to enter any country, you contact a suitably qualified migration expert for each individual country in good time prior to intended arrival.