Write to your MP about A1 certificates

Dear {Your MP name}

As a musician and one of your constituents, I am writing to you because I am extremely concerned about the impact Brexit may have on my ability to work in the EU following the end of the transition period on 31 December 2020, as a result of the uncertainty over A1 certificates and social security contributions.

At present, you must apply for an A1 form if you’re self-employed in the UK and going to work temporarily in another country within the EU/EEA. This form will enable HMRC to determine which member state’s social security legislation will apply and will prevent you having to pay social security twice (in the UK and the EU country in which you are working).

In the event of a limited, 'bare bones' deal, these forms will cease to be valid and musicians will technically be liable for social security contributions in whichever EU/EEA country they are performing within, in addition to UK national insurance. A replacement for the A1 form may be issued after Brexit, however the timeframe for the release of this form is unclear and musicians travelling to the EU/EEA following the end of the transition period may be legally required to pay both national insurance and the social security of the country that they are performing in.

Most gigging/freelance musicians like me earn on average around £20,000 per year and I simply could not to afford to work if I became liable for double deductions of social security as a result of working within the EU following the end of the transition period.

At the moment there seems to be a huge number of obstacles in the path of our music community which will severely damage not just our livelihoods but also the music sector. I am asking you to pledge to ensuring that the music sector and musicians are protected and ask ministerial colleagues about the issues detailed above.

I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Yours sincerely

{Your name}