ISM launches The Empowered Musician’s How to series
• ISM builds on the successful The Empowered Musician event with new resources produced in collaboration with music industry experts
• First in the series focuses on connecting with digital audiences, produced in collaboration with Complete Music Update
The Incorporated Society of Musicians has today (Tuesday 12 February) launched the first resource in a brand new series titled How to... building on the success of The Empowered Musician event in October 2018.
The first resource, How to... Connect with your digital audience features Complete Music Update (CMU), who tackle the world of streaming, with a guide to music rights and the websites and services that will promote music far and wide. It will explain how you can get your music online, how you can earn money when your music is downloaded or streamed, how you can try to drive more listening and how you can use your various digital channels to grow and engage a fan base.
In addition to this first instalment, Jessie Scoullar from music marketing specialists Wicksteed Works has written a step-by-step DIY release marketing plan to help structure campaigns.
Deborah Annetts, Chief Executive of the Incorporated Society of Musicians said:
‘Take control of your career with four brand new resources available from the ISM, produced in collaboration with music industry experts. The How to… series builds on the practical industry advice on offer at The Empowered Musician event, highlighting the skills and knowledge you need to succeed in your music career.’
The rest of the series will be released in the coming weeks and will include:
• How to… Work with an artist manager: IMG Artists shines a spotlight on the key relationship between artist and manager, from how to find someone you will work well with, to the role they’ll play in boosting your career.
• How to… Negotiate a contract: this resource will offer insight into the ins and outs of making an agreement, including common pitfalls you should look out for, from creative and music sector specialist VLT Legal.
• How to… Play at a Festival: Serious’ David Jones and George Vass, Artistic Director of PresteigneFestival, offer their specialist advice in how to perform on festival stages. Find out about the festival lifecycle, from programming to payment, and learn what’s special about a festival audience.
You can read top tips from each resource for free on the ISM website or join the ISM as a member to download the guides in full: www.ism.org/quick-advice
About the ISM
The ISM is the UK's professional body for musicians and a nationally recognised subject association for music. Since 1882, we have been dedicated to promoting the importance of music and protecting the rights of those working in the music profession. We support over 9,000 members across the UK and Ireland with our unrivalled legal advice and representation, comprehensive insurance and specialist services.