Who can join the ISM?
The ISM is a professional body so you must be working in music at a professional level to join us. As everyone has a different pathway into music, there are different ways that you can demonstrate that you are working at a professional level. Please select one of the following routes to membership when you join online or over the phone.
If you have a degree or graduate diploma in music simply enter the name of your qualification, the institution you studied at and the year you graduated when you complete our online application form.
Students and recent graduates
If you graduated from your first music degree or graduate diploma in music within the last 10 years, you can join at our specially discounted graduate rate, which applies for three years.
If you are a currently studying music at degree level or above you can benefit from our specially discounted student rate which is available to both full-time and part-time students.
Membership Officer approval route
Speak with our membership team about your career in a short, informal telephone interview. We’ll ask you about your work and experience within the music sector. If you’re earning a living from music your application is likely to be accepted. Call us on 020 7221 3499, Monday - Friday, 9:30am - 5:30pm.
You can ask two of your professional colleagues to provide references to support your application. One of your referees should be a current ISM member. Simply provide us with their contact details when you apply.
You can join the ISM through the fast-track route if you satisfy one or more of the criteria below. Please provide the name of the relevant ensemble, funding body, award, artist management company, young or emerging artist scheme, record label, higher education institution or publisher when you apply online or over the phone.
- You are booked or employed to play for an orchestra or are part of a professional freelance group or ensemble, musical theatre company or opera group on our fast-track list
- You are booked by any choir or chorus on our fast-track list
- You are currently represented by a management company who is a member of IAMA (International Artist Managers’ Association)
- You have a recording contract with a label which is a member of AIM (The Association of Independent Music) or the BPI (British Phonographic Industry)
- You are music teaching staff at a higher education institution which offers a degree or equivalent with music as a significant component or who works in a specialist music school
- Your compositions are published by a company which is a member of the MPA (Music Publishers Association)
- You are or have been part of a young or emerging artist scheme on our fast-track list
- You have won or been nominated for a recognised award on our fast-track list
- You have won funding from a major arts funding body on our fast-track list
Download our fast track list
- Fast Track Route 2019 002 (0.03MB PDF)
Rejoining the ISM
If you were previously an ISM member, all you need to do is contact us on 020 7221 3499, Monday - Friday, 9:30am - 5:30pm or email [email protected] and we can restart your membership.