ISM/MTA joint membership offer
Join the ISM and the MTA from £171 a year
Get up to 25% off the cost of both memberships
Music teachers with ISM and MTA memberships will have access to the complete range of services a music teaching professional needs today, along with connections across the music education sector in the UK.
What are the benefits?
- research and advice to help you in the classroom
- access to an active community of music educators
- discounted rates for award-winning professional development events including National Curriculum, progression and assessment, and GCSE workshops
- job listings from the MTA - be the first to hear about teaching vacancies
- discounted musical instrument and equipment insurance
- DBS check service and advice
- 24-hour legal and counselling helplines
- opportunities to join the ISM’s expert Educators’ Special Interest Group and have a direct impact on music education policy
- conferences, Inset days, networking events and webinars
- ISM Music Journal, MTA Ensemble magazine and MTA Music Department Directory
For full details, see the complete list of ISM member benefits and the MTA website.
ISM and MTA full membership - £182.25 a year
ISM full membership and MTA VMT/instrumental (freelance) membership - £171 a year
This offer is only available with ISM full membership.
MTA/ISM joint members are required to pay each membership fee, with the 25% discount applied, directly to each organisation. Both MTA full and MTA VMT/Instrumental members will pay £133.50 for their ISM membership.
Routes to membership
The ISM is a professional body and so you must be working in music at a professional level to join. Please choose one of the following 'routes to membership' on your application form (download below) so that we can verify that you are a professional working in music.
If you have a degree or graduate diploma in music simply enter the name of your qualification, the institution you studied at and the year you graduated when you complete the application form below.
You can ask two of your professional colleagues to provide references to support your application. One of your referees must be a current ISM member. Simply provide their contact details on the application form below.
If you satisfy one of the following criteria please provide the name of the relevant ensemble, artist management company, record label, higher education institution or publisher on your application form.
- You are music teaching staff at a higher education institution which offers a degree or equivalent with music as a significant component or who works in a specialist music school
- You have won a recognised award on our fast-track list
- You are booked or employed to play for an orchestra or are part of a professional freelance group or ensemble, musical theatre company or opera group
- You are booked by any choir from the current list of professional/cathedral choirs and opera choruses
- You are currently represented by a management company who is a member of IAMA (International Artist Managers’ Association)
- You have a recording contract with a label which is a member of AIM (The Association of Independent Music) or the BPI (British Phonographic Industry)
- Your compositions are published by a company which is a member of the MPA (Music Publishers Association)
- You are or have been part of a young artist scheme on our fast-track list
Find out if you are eligibe to join the ISM via the fast-track route by browsing our fast-track list.
Membership Officer approval route
If you have been working for more than two years within the music sector you may be eligible to join us through our Membership Officer approval scheme. Simply call our Membership Officer on 020 7221 3499 or email [email protected].
In order to verify that you are a professional working in music, our Membership Officer will ask about your career including your job title or other evidence of your work, such as awards, achievements, publications or other professional recognition.
How to join
Call us on 020 7221 3499 and we'll take your details over the phone.