Full membership is just £176 per year or divide the cost over ten months and pay £17.60 a month
Get £5 off if you pay by annual Direct Debit
What are the benefits?
- direct access to one-to-one legal advice and representation from our specialist in-house team
- public liability insurance cover up to £10,000,000
- legal expenses insurance cover up to £100,000
- professional listings to help you promote yourself and get work
- an unpaid fees service to recover overdue payments owed to you in relation to your work
- unlimited discounted insurance on any number of musical instruments and equipment of any value
- DBS Disclosure service
- hundreds of discounts to save you money on personal and musical products and services
- access to an active community of musicians who you can meet and share ideas with
- award-winning professional development events at our discounted members rate
- tax support services including a daytime helpline and a discounted tax return completion service
- enhanced professional status – you will be entitled to use our letters after your name to demonstrate your professional status and enhance your profile
and much more...
How to join
Simply complete our online application form and indicate which route to membership you're taking (see explanation below).
Call us on 020 7221 3499 and we'll take your details over the phone.
Routes to membership
The ISM is a professional body and so you must be working in music at a professional level to join. Please select one of the following 'routes to membership' when you join online or over the phone so that we can verify that you are a professional working in music.
If you have a degree or graduate diploma in music simply enter the name of your qualification, the institution you studied at and the year you graduated when you complete our online application form.
Students and recent graduates
If you graduated from your first music degree or graduate diploma in music within the last 10 years, you can join at our specially discounted graduate rate, which applies for three years.
If you are a currently studying music at degree level or above you can benefit from our speciallydiscounted student rate which is available to both full-time and part-time students.
You can ask two of your professional colleagues to provide references to support your application. One of your referees should be a current ISM member. Simply provide their contact details on your application form or online application.
You can join the ISM through the fast-track route if you satisfy one or more of the criteria below. Please provide the name of the relevant ensemble, funding body, award, artist management company, young or emerging artist scheme, record label, higher education institution or publisher when you apply online or over the phone.
- You are booked or employed to play for an orchestra or are part of a professional freelance group or ensemble, musical theatre company or opera group on our fast-track list
- You are booked by any choir or chorus on our fast-track list
- You are currently represented by a management company who is a member of IAMA (International Artist Managers’ Association)
- You have a recording contract with a label which is a member of AIM (The Association of Independent Music) or the BPI (British Phonographic Industry)
- You are music teaching staff at a higher education institution which offers a degree or equivalent with music as a significant component or who works in a specialist music school
- Your compositions are published by a company which is a member of the MPA (Music Publishers Association)
- You are or have been part of a young or emerging artist scheme on our fast-track list
- You have won or been nominated for a recognised award on our fast-track list
- You have won funding from a major arts funding body on our fast-track list
Download our fast-track list
- Fast track criteria and list (0.03MB PDF)
Membership Officer approval route
If you are working as a professional in the music sectoryou are eligible to join us through our Membership Officer approval scheme. As well as musicians working with any genre, music administrators are also very welcome to join via this route. Simply call our Membership Officer on 020 7221 3499 or email [email protected]. You have to be 18 or over to join the ISM.
In order to verify that you are a professional working in music, our Membership Officer will ask about your career including your experience and evidence of your work.
Rejoining the ISM
If you were previously an ISM member - welcome back! All you need to do is contact us on 020 7221 3499 or email [email protected] and we can restart your membership.If you have any questions, try our frequently asked questions page or call us on 020 7221 3499.
“While my role has remained largely the same, the circumstances around my employment have changed considerably and the ISM has supported me through this.”