Full membership is just £176 per year or divide the cost over ten months and pay £17.60 a month
Get £5 off if you pay by annual Direct Debit
What are the benefits?
- direct access to one-to-one legal advice and representation from our specialist in-house team
- public liability insurance cover up to £10,000,000
- legal expenses insurance cover up to £100,000
- professional listings to help you promote yourself and get work
- an unpaid fees service to recover overdue payments owed to you in relation to your work
- unlimited discounted insurance on any number of musical instruments and equipment of any value
- DBS Disclosure service
- hundreds of discounts to save you money on personal and musical products and services
- access to an active community of musicians who you can meet and share ideas with
- award-winning professional development events at our discounted members rate
- tax support services including a daytime helpline and a discounted tax return completion service
- enhanced professional status – you will be entitled to use our letters after your name to demonstrate your professional status and enhance your profile
and much more...
How to join
Simply complete our online application form and indicate which route to membership you're taking (see explanation below).
Call us on 020 7221 3499 and we'll take your details over the phone.
Routes to membership
The ISM is a professional body and so you must be working in music at a professional level to join. Please select one of the following 'routes to membership' on your printed application form, online application or over the phone so that we can verify that you are a professional working in music.
If you have a degree or graduate diploma in music simply enter the name of your qualification, the institution you studied at and the year you graduated when you complete our online application form.
Students and recent graduates
If you graduated from your first music degree or graduate diploma in music within the last 10 years, you can join at our specially discounted graduate rate, which applies for three years.
If you are a currently studying music at degree level or above you can benefit from our specially discounted student rate which is available to both full-time and part-time students.
You can ask two of your professional colleagues to provide references to support your application. One of your referees should be a current ISM member. Simply provide their contact details on your application form or online application.
If you satisfy one of the following criteria please provide the name of the relevant ensemble, artist management company, record label, higher education institution or publisher on your application form.
- You are booked or employed to play for an orchestra or are part of a professional freelance group or ensemble, musical theatre company or opera group
- You are booked by any choir from the current list of professional/cathedral choirs and opera choruses
- You are currently represented by a management company who is a member of IAMA (International Artist Managers’ Association)
- You have a recording contract with a label which is a member of AIM (The Association of Independent Music) or the BPI (British Phonographic Industry)
- You are music teaching staff at a higher education institution which offers a degree or equivalent with music as a significant component or who works in a specialist music school
- Your compositions are published by a company which is a member of the MPA (Music Publishers Association)
- You are or have been part of a young artist scheme on our fast-track list
- You have won a recognised award on our fast-track list
Find out if you are eligible to join the ISM via the fast-track route by browsing our fast-track list.
Membership Officer approval route
If you have been working for more than two years within the music sector you may be eligible to join us through our Membership Officer approval scheme. Simply call our Membership Officer on 020 7221 3499 or email [email protected].
In order to verify that you are a professional working in music, our Membership Officer will ask about your career including your job title or other evidence of your work, such as awards, achievements, publications or other professional recognition.
Rejoining the ISM
If you were previously an ISM member - welcome back! All you need to do is contact us on 020 7221 3499 or email [email protected] and we can restart your membership.If you have any questions, try our frequently asked questions page or call us on 020 7221 3499.
“While my role has remained largely the same, the circumstances around my employment have changed considerably and the ISM has supported me through this.”
- ISM fast-track route list (0.27MB PDF)