Early career membership
Just £50 a year or £5 a month over 10 months
We understand that the early stages of musicians' careers can be tough financially. That's why, if you have fewer than 10 years' professional experience, you can save over £130 a year on full membership and join us for less than £1 a week.
Whether you are a self-releasing artist, play with an orchestra, teach music or you are establishing a wider portfolio music career, we are here for you.
What are the benefits?
- public liability insurance cover up to £10,000,000
- unlimited one-to-one legal advice and representation from our specialist in-house team. This is a bespoke service unique to the ISM
- an unpaid fees recovery service to ensure you get paid for your work
- bespoke instrument and equipment insurance at a discounted rate
- extensive online advice covering everything you need to know about being a professional musician
- health and wellbeing services including counselling, CBT and physiotherapy
- a visa and work permit advisory service
- hundreds of exclusive discounts on everything from music shops around the UK to hearing protection, recording studios, gym membership and more
- discounted tickets to our award-winning events such as The Empowered Musician
- DBS Disclosure application service
- demonstrate your professional status by using MISM after your name (member of the ISM)
- regular webinars and seminars to connect you with music industry experts
- have your say with full voting rights on ISM matters
- ...and much more
'The ISM is like a crash mat - it's the support and security which gives me the freedom to take bigger creative risks'
How much does it cost?
|Year of membership||Annual Direct Debit/card payment||Monthly Direct Debit|
|First year of membership||£50||£5 x 10|
|Second year of membership||£50||£5 x 10|
|Third year of membership||£50||£5 x 10|
|Fouth year of membership||£110||£11 x 10|
Early career members save over £460 over four years compared to paying our full rate.
After four years as an early career member, you will be upgraded to ISM full membership.
The ISM is an HMRC approved professional body which means you may be able to claim tax relief on your subscription fee.
How do I join?
Early career membership is available to all those who have been working within the music sector for fewer than 10 years. This includes (but is not limited to) any work undertaken as a performer, administrator, composer and music teacher.
You are also eligible if you have more than 10 years' professional experience but have graduated from your first qualification at level four or above in the last 10 years.
Whether you have graduated from your first music-related course at level four or above in the last 10 years or you gained your musical experience in other ways and have been working professionally for fewer than 10 years, you can apply online at any time.
Apply by telephone
Call us on 020 7221 3499, Monday - Friday, 9.30am - 5.30pm and we'll take your details over the phone.
Been a member before?
To re-join, please call us on the number above or email [email protected]. We'll be very pleased to welcome you back to membership.
If you have any questions, try our frequently asked questions page or call us on the number above.