ISM Registered Private Teacher status
If you are an ISM member who has been teaching privately for six months or more, you can apply for ISM Registered Private Teacher (RPT) status.
Having ISM RPT status is beneficial if you teach under 18s as it demonstrates to current and potential pupils and their parents that you have been reference checked and criminal record checked by your professional body and that you have signed up to our Safeguarding & Child Protection Policy, Code of Practice and procedures.
As an ISM Registered Private Teacher you will receive a certificate of your status and a highlighted listing on the ISM Music Directory, the UK's only online directory of music professionals with proven credentials.
To apply for ISM RPT status you will need to:
- complete an RPT status application form
- provide details of a student (if over 18) or parent or guardian of a student who will act as a referee
- sign a past convictions declaration and child protection declarations
- sign to say you agree to adhere to the ISM Safeguarding & Child Protection Policy, Code of Practice and procedures
- England or Wales: obtain an enhanced DBS check through the ISM to specifically apply to your self-employed music teaching. A DBS check has to be obtained every three years to maintain your RPT status unless it is registered with the DBS Update Service.
- Scotland: register with the PVG scheme
- Northern Ireland: obtain an AccessNI check every three years
If you would like to apply for ISM RPT status, please download the application form below and return it completed to [email protected].
Criminal record checks
If you would like to apply for a criminal record check for safeguarding purposes, the ISM can help you obtain one, including:
- a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check if you are based in England or Wales
- an Access NI check if you are based in Northern Ireland
- membership of the Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) scheme if you are based in Scotland
For more information, please see our Safeguarding: DBS, PVG and Access NI page, or contact us ([email protected], 020 7221 3499 - 9.30am-5.30pm).
RPT status application form
- RPT application form 2019 (0.06MB PDF)
How to...Begin teaching music: A practical guide to becoming an instrumental teacher
How to... Begin teaching music: A practical guide looks at the practical steps necessary to begin teaching and how to set up a private teaching practice
Safeguarding: DBS, PVG and Access NI
Advice on obtaining a criminal record check for safeguarding purposes, including DBS checks in England and Wales, Access NI checks in Northern Ireland, and the PVG scheme in Scotland