COVID-19: Funds for musicians Jump to main content

COVID-19: Funds for musicians

This page provides information on the organisations and charities who have set up emergency funding to assist the music, creative and entertainment sectors.

This page will be updated when further advice or information is released. It was last updated on 1 April 2022.

Scotland: Creative Scotland Open Fund, Sustaining Creative Development

Funding is available to individuals and organisations to help explore ways of working that will enable you to adapt and respond to the current changing circumstances.

More information can be found on the Creative Scotland website.

Eligibility Criteria

Freelance and self-employed artists and creative practitioners in Scotland can apply for funding to support the development of their practice. You may apply for funding to work with others if your practice is collaborative. You must have a UK bank account.

What help will I receive?

As an individual, you will be able to apply for a grant between £1,000 and £50,000.

It is expected that most applications will be up to £15,000. If you are requesting more than £15,000 you will need to provide additional information.

Funding is also available for organisations.

How do I apply?

Applications opened on 3 April 2020. The fund is open all year round, with no deadlines and can support activity for up to 12 months.

Scotland: Scottish Government Covid-19 Cancellation Fund for Creative Freelancers

The Scottish Government has committed £8m through Creative Scotland for creative freelancers who have lost income following the cancellation of work.

Eligibility Criteria

The fund is to support creative freelancers based in Scotland who work in the arts, screen and creative sector and are experiencing immediate financial difficulty due to the cancellation or deferral of events because of COVID-19. The cancellations should have occurred between 27 November 2021 – 31 March 2022.

What help will I receive?

You can request between £500 and £2000.

How do I apply?

For further information check on the Creative Scotland website for further updates.

Wales: Arts Council of Wales, Cultural Winter Stability Fund

The Welsh Government is making £5.25m available to assist Wales' arts organisations, museums, libraries and independent cinemas through the winter months.

Eligibility Criteria

The fund is to support organisations that are at risk of closure or where jobs will be lost - unless further support is provided and this risk must be as a direct result of the ongoing impact of Covid-19.

What help will I receive?

The fund will accept applications up to a maximum of £100,000, and applicants may apply to cover costs incurred between 1 October 2021-31 March 2022.

How do I apply?

More information about the funding can be found here.

UK: Education Support

Education support are offering a confidential grants service to those in the education sector. More information can be found here.

Eligibility Criteria

If you are working in or retired from the education sector and are suffering financial problems caused by unemployment, ill health, sudden life events, bereavement or a personal injury they may be able to offer support. You must be UK based and have taught or been employed by or in a UK school, college or university; this must be paid employment and you must have been employed for a minimum of one academic term.

What will I receive?

Successful applicants will receive a grant, the sum is unspecified on their website.

How do I apply?

You can apply for the grant directly on their website.

UK: Help Musicians:. Support to Record & Release

The fund supports musicians in the three areas of: making music, business development and health and wellbeing.

Eligibility Criteria

The fund is open to professional musicians of all genres and disciplines. You can also be a solo artist, composer, group member, songwriter, producer or a multidisciplinary artist.

What help will I receive?

  • payment of £3,000 in financial support towards reor
  • business advice sessions
  • health consultation with British Association for Performing Arts Medicine (BAPAM) professionals

How do I apply?

Visit Help Musicians to apply.

UK: PRS International Showcase Fund

The International Showcase Fund (ISF) offers export support to perform or create new music at international showcasing festivals or conferences.

Eligibility Criteria

Support is for UK-based artists, bands, songwriters and producers.

What help will I receive?

ISF grants.

How do I apply?

ISF runs on a rolling monthly deadline and information on how to apply can be found on the PRS Foundation website.

UK: PRS Foundation, The Open Fund For Music Creators

This fund supports the development of songwriters and composers of all genres and backgrounds at different stages of their career.

Eligibility Criteria

The fund is open to projects by songwriters, composers, or artists, bands, producers and performers who are writing their own music or commissioning others.

What help will I receive?

Grants of up to £5,000.

How do I apply?

The next deadline is 12 February and information on how to apply can be found on the PRS Foundation website.

UK: Royal Society of Musicians

The Royal Society of Musicians (RSM) has donated £1,000,000 to the Help Musicians Coronavirus Hardship Fund. Requests for assistance in respect of coronavirus should be directed to Help Musicians. If you require assistance for anything else, contact the RSM office on [email protected] or by telephone 020 7629 6137.

UK: The Royal Theatrical Fund

There are two strands of support available. The Fleabag Support Fund opens monthly to provide assistance with financial hardship. More information can be found on the TRTF website.

The Theatre Community Fund supports creativity and innovation and is currently due to start accepting applications again in late 2020 or early 2021. More information can be found on the Theatre Community Fund website.

More information

You can find out more about benefits that may be available to you through Turn2Us and Citizens Advice.

You can also get information on how each devolved nation organises its crisis and community care funds in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. In England, this kind of fund is administrated by local councils. Search online for the name of your council and 'Local Welfare Fund' or find out more on emergency help in England.

In England, if you are required to self-isolate, are unable to work as a result and are on a low income, you may be eligible for the £500 Test and Trace Support Payment. Contact your local authority for more details.