Visa and work permit requirements for Europe Jump to main content

Visa and work permit requirements for Europe

We have produced a guide summarising the visa and work permit requirements for UK performers touring in Europe, as part of a range of support and services that we offer. In addition, the ISM is working with others in the creative industries to campaign for a reduction in the additional costs, delays and paperwork created by the Brexit agreement.

In response to a lack of clear, country-specific guidance and a need for our members to be able to access information for multiple countries as easily as possible, the ISM have tried our best to summarise a very complex issue. We believe the information provided is as accurate as possible considering the vast amount of material available from each member state. The information was last updated on 27 May 2021 and will be regularly updated to reflect ongoing developments. If you spot anything we have potentially omitted, we would be grateful if you would share this with the ISM for review via [email protected].

The following information is for your reference only and does not constitute legal or immigration advice. The ISM recommends that if you have any doubts about your eligibility to enter any country, you contact a suitably qualified migration expert for each individual country in good time prior to intended arrival.

About this document

All UK nationals holding a valid passport (with at least six months' validity) can travel for up to 90 days in a 180-day period in the Schengen area under the visa-waiver regime. However, since 1 January 2021, UK nationals seeking to work in the EU are considered third-country nationals and may need a visa and/or work permit to do so. These rules are set by each member state.

The tables contained in this document provide an overview of the different requirements for entry visas and short-stay work permits for the 27 Member States of the EU together with Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland. That includes details for non-Schengen Area countries like Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland and Romania. Links are provided wherever possible to access further information and the details of all embassies are also included.

What is the difference between a visa and work permit?

A visa is a document which gives a person the right to enter or leave the country or territory for which it was issued.

A work permit is a generic term for any legal authorisation which allows a person to take up employment.

It is important to note that some countries use the terms ‘visa’ and ‘permit’ interchangeably.

ISM visa and work permit advice service

ISM members can access our visa and work permit advice service, delivered in partnership with experts Viva la Visa. They can offer advice on your individual situation, helping you to navigate the required work permits and visas in the country or countries you are visiting on your work trip.