The National Curriculum
There is a distinct National Curriculum in England (introduced in 2014), Scotland (the Curriculum for Excellence was introduced from 2010), Wales (the curriculum in Wales is currently being reviewed) and Northern Ireland (the curriculum in Northern Ireland became statutory from 2007).
Assessment and progression frameworks for music
We have published two frameworks (primary or secondary), complete with wallcharts (primary or secondary), to help you develop your curriculum, pedagogies and assessment in any setting.
Enter your details below to view and download your copy of An Assessment and Progression Framework for music (primary) or A Framework for Curriculum, Pedagogy and Assessment in Key Stage 3 Music (secondary). ISM members can access the guide by following the link on the members' area homepage.
The personal information you provide below will only be used by the ISM to keep you informed of other resources and services we offer. We will not sell or share your information with third parties.
Additional National Curriculum resources, and transition guides
We have also published a number of guides to help you prepare for the new National Curriculum.
- How to prepare for the new National Curriculum for Music - Primary
- How to prepare for the new National Curriculum for Music - Secondary
- A guide to transition between Key Stage 2 and Key Stage 3
- Don't forget that Ofsted expect music to be part of the school curriculum! More from this report can be found on the Ofsted website and the we have also produced a summary report of the recommendations.
- The National Curriculum for Music (Primary)
The new National Curriculum for Music for Key Stages 1 and 2
- The National Curriculum for Music (Secondary)
The new National Curriculum for Music for Key Stage 3
- How to prepare (Primary)
How to prepare for the new National Curriculum for Music - Primary
- How to prepare (Secondary)
How to prepare for the new National Curriculum for Music - Secondary
- Transition guide from the University of Sussex
A Key Stage 2 to 3 transition guide from the University of Sussex
- Formative assessment strategies ISM handout
Formative assessment strategies ISM handout