Full membership is just £171 per year or divide the cost over ten months and pay £17.10 a month
What are the benefits?
- direct access to one-to-one legal advice and representation from our expert in-house team of quick-response lawyers
- public liability insurance cover up to £10,000,000 in the event of claims against you relating to injuries to third parties or damage to their property
- legal expenses insurance cover up to £100,000 including in the event of an HMRC tax investigation
- listings on our Music Directory and in our Handbook to help you promote your services and get work
- an unpaid fees service that recovers overdue payments owed to you in relation to your work
- unlimited discounted insurance on any number of musical instruments and equipment of any value
- hundreds of discounts to save you money on personal and musical products and services
- access to an active community of musicians who you can meet and share ideas with at our seminars and events
- award-winning professional development events at a discounted members rate
- DBS Disclosure service
- tax support services including a daytime helpline and a discounted tax return completion service
- being a member of a nationally recognised professional body enhances your status, demonstrates that you are committed to your profession and that you have proven professional credentials. As a member you can use letters after your name.
and much more...
“The ISM keeps me up-to-date with changes in the music sector, and connects me with a wider network of professional musicians.”
How to join
Simply complete our online application form and indicate which route to membership you're taking (see explanation below).
Call us on 020 7221 3499 and we'll take your details over the phone.
Download our application form and send it to the address at the bottom of the page. Alternatively, you can email us and we'll email you the application form.
Routes to membership
The ISM is a professional body and so you must be working in music at a professional level to join. Please select one of the following 'routes to membership' on your printed application form, online application or over the phone so that we can verify that you are a professional working in music.
If you have adegree or graduate diploma in music simply enter the name of your qualification, the institution you studied at and the year you graduated when you complete our online application form.
Students and recent graduates
If you graduated from your first music degree or graduate diploma in music within the last 10 years, you can join at our specially discounted graduate rate, which applies for three years.
If you are a currently studying music at degree level or above you can benefit from our specially discounted student rate which is available to both full-time and part-time students.
You can ask two of your professional colleagues to provide references to support your application. One of your referees should be a current ISM member. Simply provide their contact details on your application form or online application.
If you satisfy one of the following criteria please provide the name of the relevant ensemble, artist management company, record label, higher education institution or publisher on your application form.
- You are booked or employed to play for an orchestra or are part of a professional freelance group or ensemble, musical theatre company or opera group
- You are booked by any choir from the current list of professional/cathedral choirs and opera choruses
- You are currently represented by a management company who is a member of IAMA (International Artist Managers’ Association)
- You have a recording contract with a label which is a member of AIM (The Association of Independent Music) or the BPI (British Phonographic Industry)
- You are music teaching staff at a higher education institution which offers a degree or equivalent with music as a significant component or who works in a specialist music school
- Your compositions are published by a company which is a member of the MPA (Music Publishers Association)
- You are or have been part of a young artist scheme on our fast-track list
- You have won a recognised award on our fast-track list
Find out if you are eligibe to join the ISM via the fast-track route by browsing our fast-track list.
Membership Officer approval route
If you have been working for more than two years within the music sector you may be eligible to join us through our Membership Officer approval scheme. Simply call our Membership Officer on 020 7221 3499 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to verify that you are a professional working in music, our Membership Officer will ask about your career including your job title or other evidence of your work, such as awards, achievements, publications or other professional recognition.
Rejoining the ISM
If you were previously an ISM member - welcome back! All you need to do is contact us on 020 7221 3499 or email email@example.com and we can restart your membership.If you have any questions, try our frequently asked questions page or call us on 020 7221 3499.